Completed in December 2012
5-classroom school - fully furnished, washrooms, clean water supply, school supplies, student uniforms, sporting supplies
Total Cost: $70,000 CAD
2017 Update: School population has doubled to 162 students (Gr. K - 5) since the school was built in 2012; village population now exceeds 1200 and still growing from 4 villages; school is structurally in good shape, needs a paint job.
Ban Kava is located in the central part of Laos, in Hinboun district, Khammouane province. In accordance with SKL's selection criteria, the village had an existing school structure with teachers and teaching resources provided by the state, and the school was in dire condition. Not only did it serve a relatively large number of students from neighbouring villages, it also showed potential for future growth. There were 86 students in grades one to five attending the school, with many more expected the following year.
The village was chosen to receive a new school after two visits, the first included Malcolm Sterrett and Edwin Hill from The Philanthropic Foundation. Construction began in March 2012 and the school was officially inaugurated on December 17, 2012. The official program commenced with greetings and thanks from the village Chief and the district Education officer. They referred to the school as the pride of the province.
SKL Volunteers on Location: Ken and Sengkeo Phanlouvong, Francois Tremblay, Linda Lindsay, Denis Chamberlain
Photos from Ban Kava
Photos of the old school
More photos are available in the Gallery.